Thursday, December 12, 2013

Polyp free in 2013

My doctor has been gently persuading me to get a colonoscopy for four years and for some reason I finally agreed last month. We booked the appointment for last weekend and I spent a few weeks dreading the prep day. Gotta be honest, I've never missed a meal in my life unless I was bedridden with the flu and even then I have a go-to snack: soda crackers. I knew that existing on clear liquids for an entire day would be extremely difficult for me AND I don't eat beef or chicken broth or anything with high fructose corn syrup so it's possible I should have spent a little more time researching what I COULD have. It was a totally miserable day. I was starving, had zero energy and found myself drinking a neon green sports drink by the gallon - and let's not even talk about how bad the actual prescription tastes. It took a superhuman effort to choke it down and I felt like throwing up after both doses. The procedure was a breeze. You just drift off to sleep and wake up all done and ready to go have breakfast. (Mine was at 6:30 AM.) The doctor presented me with a full color glossy of the inside of my colon and showed me three largish polyps they removed. At first I was happy to hear that because it meant I didn't suffer through all the prep just to find out everything is fine but then I learned that polyps tend to reappear so they want me to repeat the procedure every three to five years. (They said three, I said ten and we settled on five.) The good thing is, it's over with - although I had several missed calls from the doctor's office yesterday so hopefully they're just checking in to say the lab results are back and everything is benign. Is it easy? No. Is it fun? Not so much. Should you do it? Yeah, probably, if you're 50 they recommend it and it might save your life. This has been a public service announcement. Please stay tuned for more information.

1 comment:

dagwin said...

I have done this every year since I was 35 (tragic family history of colon cancer) always a fun time!